Wednesday, November 9, 2016

5.19 South Seas Mermaid Adaption

While I have had the pattern for this a while, I've never really felt the urge to stitch it quite yet...mainly because it's colours are so bland.  I'm sorry, but when you mention 'south seas mermaid' I tend to imagine something a bit...more colourful than the original pattern.

Anyway, I finished Royal Holiday, so I was looking for something new to start....so I figured why not adapt south seas?

Anyway, what happened from there was this
The humble beginnings, as I sorted out what colours to use


Colours more-or-less settled, starting to come to life

All the stitching finished!  Just beads left

The finished product!



Fair warning for this adaption - there was a LOT changed.  As in pretty much everything but the skin and hair colours were changed (And one bead.  I left one bead the same, LOL)
I also left out some beading, as a) I didn't think it needed any more (holy hell there were already a million beads on it, and the pattern called for YET MOREEEE) and b) I didn't have a bead in my stash that either fit the colours AND had the sheer quantity I would need.  So that happened.

Body

  • 5982 -> 026 (Kreinik)
  • 3514 ->1223 (Kreinik)
  • 927 ->340
  • 772/927 -> 156
  • 772 -> 341
  • 3770 -> 3840
  • 939 -> 550
  • 03048 -> 3844
  • 356/758 -> 3844
  • 926 -> 3746
Top fins
  • 3607 -> 3844
  • 3607/3609 -> 3845
  • 3609 -> 3846
Bottom back fins
  • 352 -> 3844
  • 335 -> 3845
  • 335/860 -> 3846
Trailing fins
  • 3860 -> 156
  • 844 -> 161
  • 3609/3860 -> 156/3846
Stripe
  • 335 -> 321
  • 352 -> 321
  • 922 -> 321
  • 335/926 -> 321
Seaweed
  • 844 -> 701
  • 3860 -> 702
  • 704 -> 703
  • 5982 -> 015 (Kreinik)
  • 3607 -> 321
And then the beads.  (I did mention a LOT had changed, right?)
  • 72023 -> 72052
  • 72012 -> 72052
  • 03048 -> 00165
  • 16616 -> SAME AS ORIGINAL
  • 16615 -> 02031
  • 03027 -> 02009
  • 18828 -> 18830
  • 18831 -> 02085
  • 00525 -> 02035

  • 03047 -> On arm, neck and top of bodice 10074, on tail fins, and trailing tendrils 00161
  • 42031 -> on belly 00161, on trailing tendrils 02009
Backstitching stayed the same as original pattern, as did the hair and skin.

Stitched 2 over 2 on Chromatic Alchemy's 'Poseidon' Belfast linen

3 comments:

  1. Amazing!!! Gorgeous !!!!! And thanks for sharing your conversion. I never wanted to stitch her but now I do thank you thank you thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is spectacular! I can't wait to stitch her using your conversion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.... You did a great job converting it into your own colors. I don't know how the original looks like, but this looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete