Contributors

Sunday, November 3, 2013

2.34 Vegetable and Bacon Rice

So I'm trying food/cooking photography today.  Admittedly, I could have chosen a better day to start this, but no, I decided the day I'm having my second-most-simple meal.
Vegetable and Bacon Rice.  Yeah, I'm great with planning ahead >.>

Keep in mind, this is set up for one person.  I cook for one, and thus eat for one.  So if (heaven forbid) anyone decides to try this for more than one person, adjust accordingly, K?


The ingredients of my delightfully simple dish.  Oil, bacon, leek, mushroom, rice, pak choy, chive paste.

 The bacon, leek, mushrooms and pak choy all get chopped up roughly.  If you're me, then the bacon is kept en masse in a bag in the freezer, already cut (butchers bacon scraps FTW!), as with the leeks (Hey, my Dad had an overflowing garden of them this year, I had to do SOMETHING with them).
My rice gets thrown into the rice cooker while I cook the rest.
 All the bacon, leek, pak choy and mushrooms go into the pan.  I like to add mixed herb paste (or in today's case, chopped chive paste) but it depends if it's on special at the local supermarket.
 Depending on how long the rice will take, I may or may not need to steam the pak choy faster or slower.  For faster, I swipe a pot lid and steam them a couple mins under cover.  Otherwise, I just let it all fry up and cook slower.
 After a few minutes, things are nicely cooked.  Basically, this stage is simple:  cook until bacon and leeks are done.  The greens don't exactly take long.  This is (try not to collapse in shock here Mother) usually the time I do my dishes.  Which admittedly usually consists of a knife, and a chopping board, but still....
 Once the rice is cooked, throw it in.....
 ....and mix it all up.  Using stuff frozen, I have extra moisture in there usually, so I fry it all up a few extra mins to let the rice collect the moisture that doesn't want to leave.

Then we're done!  Nomonom.


Before anyone (I know Es won't, but still, I live in hope someone other than us reads this eventually, even if only to laugh) complains "Oh I don't have pak choy or.....BLAHBLAH", I have made this with and without mushrooms and herb paste, with spinach, with silver-beet, with shanghai cabbage (that's what the local supermarket calls it, ....I just call it 'the green leafy stuff that tastes good'), and with cubes of pumpkin, swede or rock melon.
Before you judge, the rock melon actually worked really well, it was a nice burst of sweet with the salty bacon.  Don't knock it until you try it.  Just...don't put pumpkin AND rock melon.  That makes too much sweet.  LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE!!

Vegetable and Bacon Rice.

1 rasher of bacon, chopped.
2 inches of leek, chopped OR ~1/4 onion.
1-2 mushrooms, chopped.
1 baby pak choy OR 1-2 cups of vegetables of choice (green is good though)
1 Tablespoon oil, for frying.
1/2 Cup of rice (long or short, doesn't matter.  I prefer short, but both work fine)
*1 teaspoon chopped herbs/herb paste if desired.

Put rice on to cook (Pot or rice cooker).  Fry bacon and leeks in oil, until cooked.  Add herbs, then rest of vegetables.  Fry until cooked, then add cooked rice, stir and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment