Contributors

Friday, October 15, 2010

7 - Family tech support

I was sitting at my computer yesterday evening, minding my own business as I drooled over recipes on Pioneer Woman's blog (as you do), when I recieved an email.

From my mother. 

It was one line long, saying ' your computer wont turn on can you tell me how to fix it the lights are on but it wont work love mum xxx'

At this point I was already sighing.  It promised the incoming evening of trying to explain how to do something computer-related to my mother.  Always entertaining.  And never for me.

Or her either.

Anyway, phonecall soon after, and I had already worked out the problem - it was stuck in a sleep cycle.  It had done it to me a couple times before I gave it to her, but it was easily fixed.

"Just unplug it, take the battery out for 30 seconds, put it back and you're fine."

"Where is hte battery?"

"Underneath.  There are a couple of switches there."

"Oh."  Pause.  "Oh, I'll go get the screwdriver...." Walks away.

"NO!  NO SCREWDRIVER!  MUM, STOP WHERE YOU ARE!"

Finally managing to get her to "PUT.  SCREWDRIVER.  DOWN.  NO TOUCH.  K", she gave the phone to Dad and and attempted the highly technical task of removing the battery.  I gave her highly detailed instructions that all but drew a map of where battery was, and the two switches were.

She still couldn't find them.  I had to have her find the little padlock symbols embossed in the plastic before she found them.

Then the opening of the switches.

"This would be easier with a knife, I'll just go get....."

"NO! NO KNIFE!"

Well.  Soon after, she managed to get the battery off, having sworn at both me AND Dad as we were trying to help. 

Last I heard, she put the battery back on, and went to have a hot drink to calm down.  Been a very diplomatic silence since.  I think I'll go send her a message tonight, make sure she's ok.

My family don't mix with technology.  Why didn't I notice this earlier?

Kat, over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment