Contributors

Saturday, October 16, 2010

8 - Essy is Racist?!

So, I have now been called a dirty dirty term...DUN DUN DUN...a RACIST! The events is as described below...

It was a bright and sunny Friday in downtown Vancouver. I finished work at 6pm and decided to hang around and wait for a co-worker, who is quitting, get off work so we can go have dinner. So while hanging around, I thought, why not help customers anyway, since I am here!

Along came this gentleman who has sent a fax and is waiting to pay. He believes he owes us around $1.99 because one page of long distance is $1.49+ tax. I check the fax, and it's actually international! He was telling me that it wasn't priced as so on the signage and I decided to walk over to show him.

I pointed to the sign saying, long distance, $1.49 and international $5.99. I continued on to explain, long distance is anywhere in U.S. and Canada, and International is anywhere outside of it, country code other than 1. He proceeded to tell me, the fax was to Mexico and to him he thought that meant it's just long distance and suggested we make better signage. I replied saying I can make that suggestion to them and attempted to explain that "In Canada, most of us say long distance is US and Canada, and International is anywhere cross country/outside of it." To which he replied, "I find that very offensive, I am Canadian and you saying that to me is like saying I'm not Canadian. Where is your manager? I want to speak to your manager. You are being very racist" So there I was, apologizing and totally confused wondering why I was being called racist because that was never my intention. I never excluded him when I said most people in Canada use that as the differentiation and I, for that matter, wasn't even born in Canada. So he, of course, went to speak to my manager trying to tell him that I am very prejudice and he found it very offensive. My manager takes one look at his fax, and proceeds to tell him that he just faxed a blank page. Either way, long story short, maybe I should be the one offended?

I went off to one of the aisles and started crying >.< The security guard asked if I wanted to have the guy thrown out or for him to say something to the guy and brought me tissues. My manager tells me that we get customers like that all the time, probably just people who are having a bad day. That's what I get for staying behind and helping people =/. What a cruddy day.

Essy - Gonna crawl in my bed and die ~

No comments:

Post a Comment